Welcome to Lab Blog!

I started Lab Blog to share my experiences and help other dog lovers with their beloved furry companions. Some articles will deal with specific medical conditions and treatments. Others will just recount the many joys and sorrows of living, loving and losing our best friends.

PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT a veterinarian, nor am I trying to play one on the Internet!

My intent is simply to offer the knowledge and insight I have gained in nearly 35 years of owning, training, breeding and loving my own dogs. I hope you find it amusing, informative and useful.

Thanks for visiting!

Lab Mama

Your Sugar-Free Foods Could Kill Your Dog

Did you know the common sugar substitute Xylitol, found in many foods labeled as 'sugar-free', can cause potentially fatal organ failure in your dog?  Buddy's owner found out the hard way.

"Xylitol, commonly found in diabetic foods, chewing gum, candy and mints, can wreak havoc on a canine's blood sugar levels, sometimes resulting in liver and kidney failure, according to the Veterinary Information Network (VIN.)"

Xylitol mimics sugar’s effect on the body, causing release of insulin from the pancreas and reduction in blood sugar (hypoglycemia).

Dogs quickly absorb Xylitol from the digestive tract, causing a sudden and strong release of insulin with secondary hypoglycemia.  A very small amount of Xylitol can potentially cause significant toxicity in dogs.

A mere 1 to 2 pieces of chewing gum containing Xylitol can be potentially toxic to a dog weighing 20 pounds or less!

Symptoms of Xylitol toxicity include (but are not limited to):
Vomiting (Emesis)
Loss of coordination (Ataxia)

If untreated, Xylitol toxicity can also lead to liver failure, blood clotting abnormalities, and death.

Our pups love sweets as much as we do; be sure to keep all these products away from Fido's prying nose!

No comments:

Post a Comment